This year we had the most amazing turnout at recruitment night. We did our best to choose skilled girls who also showed determination and focus. I think we did a great job narrowing down our search for the 2011 season players.
Today I'd like to introduce you to a very passionate and determined Fresh Blood, Marie. Not only is she dedicated to learning this sport, but she also leads a pretty interesting life. Read below to find out more about her.
1. I moved to Brooklyn from New Orleans a little over a year ago.
2. I am originally from Bay Shore.
3. I am an anti-racist social worker.
4. I lived in New Orleans for four years post Katrina and helped to start a free, anti-racist health clinic in Algiers, LA.
5. I am a birth doula.
6. I have 6 brothers and sisters.
7. I try to take a cross country road trip once every year and a half to two years. I always know when I need them, and my life always changes afterward.
8. I have lived all over the United States.
9. I love to camp and this summer camped the west coast, including Yosemite and all over the most beautiful state of UTAH!
10. I've worked at a camp for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer and Questioning youth in Seattle, Washington every summer for the past five years; for two weeks.
11. I am vegan.
12. My sister Gina Marie and I are 20 years apart…..EXACTLY. We share a Scorpio birthday!
13. I don’t go anywhere without my i Pod.
14. I was recently published in a radical birth journal.
15. I have had my locks for over 10 years.
16. I live alone and I prefer it that way.
17. I hardly ever have a pair of socks that match.
18. I only take baths.
19. A claw foot bath tub was a non-negotiable when choosing an apartment in Brooklyn.
20. I have NEVER played a team sport.
21. I want to throw up before practice EVERY time and get SUPER nervous.
22. I am positive that my mind and my fear hold me back in derby.
23. I meditate weekly.
24. I believe in positive energy and exchange and that you can attract anything you want, any experience or adventure and you get back what you put in from life.
25. Roller derby is changing me and my life in a way that I never expected and is HANDS DOWN the most important and challenging thing I have ever done in my life! It is making me face myself in a way that I have never done before.