Friday, January 20, 2012

The Legendary Etta James


Today we lost a legend and my idol, the lovely Etta James.  The soulful, six-time Grammy winner passed away due to complications from a long time battle with Leukemia and dementia. 

On a personal note, I've listened to Etta James' music for as long as I can remember.  When choosing my derby name, I picked Etta Jams for a few reasons.  The first being that I love her music and I knew I wanted something that represented an older time era.  I also loved the fact that although she was able to pour out her heart through her music, she possessed a tough side.  Often outspoken and a fighter through life struggles including drug addiction and health problems, the singer persevered and continued to wow audiences with her powerful voice.

I am saddened by her passing, but know that her music will live on forever!  Here is one of my favorites from the singer.  Jamesetta Hawkins aka Miss Peaches aka Etta James you will be missed!

No comments: