Monday, January 9, 2012

Name That Roller Girl

With a group of new girls getting ready to become official skaters for our league, the time is coming for them to choose what will be their new names. Roller derby aliases are such an important part of becoming a derby player. It’s your new identity, your alter ego. For some, it’s an escape from the everyday, a time to become someone new. For others, it’s simply an extension of who they are in day to day life.

With this in mind, I decided to take a look at the ever growing international list of registered derby names. It’s amazing, after four + years of having a roller derby alias, I still get goose bumps seeing my name and number on the list. It’s as if I’m a star in a new movie and my name is appearing up on the marquee.

So ladies, I thought I’d give you a few suggestions and before choosing a name.

The Long & Short of It
Most of the time your full derby name will be shortened by your teammates. With that in mind, be sure you want to be called by whatever nick name might be created out of your full name. Here’s an example; One of the choices I had thought up for myself was Shrimp Roll. Though the words sound cute together, I knew I didn’t ever want to be called just Shrimp or just Roll and so that one was crossed off my list.

Keeping It Real
Think about what you want your name to represent. Do you want to be known as a bad ass? Should your name be an extension of your legal name? Or maybe something representative of one of your passions or hobbies such as art or sewing. 

Pick a Name and Then Pick Another
Once you choose your alias, it will be sent in for approval. Remember, your name must not be that of an existing player. Also, chances are, if it is even somewhat similar to another player’s, it may be denied.  Having a list of alternatives ready is a good idea.

This is your chance to name yourself, so have fun with it!  I can't wait to meet all of you all over again.

- Etta





No comments: