Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Luck of the Irish

Not knowing the origin of popular Irish phrases, I did a little research to find the true meaning of my title for today's post. Unable to find one solid answer, I decided to go with the one I found to be most fitting; Luck of the Irish: The saying refers to the fact that the Irish people have come through such overwhelming adversity and have come out on top and kicking! It must be luck... or true perseverance.
The Roller Rebels are pleased to have a league member who proudly represents her heritage and personifies the true meaning of the word persevere. Some people have so much determination, you can actually see it in their eyes, this skater is one of those people. I can recall a few nights arriving at practice only to find her running laps around the rink, just as a warm up. I can also recall, seeing her several nights after practice doing the same thing. I don't think she ever missed an evening of skating, be it our practices or an open skate session. She has worked hard from her first night and she's worked harder and harder every day since! This Irish wonder wheel held fast, maintained and took some hard hits from veteran skaters, until she reached her goal and became one of the newest members of Long Island's only derby girls. She recently played her first bout, willingly skating any position she was asked, and her team was triumphant. I couldn't think of a better time than St. Patrick's Day to present to you this month's Roller Rebel, Celtic Thunder!!
Name: Celtic Thunder

Number:
21

What made you want to join a roller derby league?:
I really was looking for something different to do that I enjoyed, contained working out and possibly meeting new people. I love any adrenaline sport and this definitely hits my list of favorites!

What was your first practice like?
I showed up for open house, which is where I first met Terrorpin and my wife Muscles Marinara and I was blown away. I have never seen anything like it. I knew skating on inlines for so many years would make quads seem so much harder…and they were! I’m pretty sure I fell on my tuchus a few times during that practice!

What is the hardest skill you had to learn?
I think just understanding the entire sport as a whole takes a lot of attention and strategy. The girls on my team always said one day it would just click. And it finally clicked at my first bout in the 2nd period. I was pivoting, for the first time ever by the way, and right then and there I finally understood the importance of controlling the pack. But if you are asking about skating skill…I had the most trouble with T-stops and 180 turns. I definitely need to build my endurance and work on the booty/back blocking.

What position would you most like to play and why?
At first all I really wanted to be was a jammer, but I realized after the Morristown Mash-up, that playing every position is fun. Jamming is fun because you get to make your way through a pack of girls that are determined to knock you down (eh hem…Chest Blockwell and D-Ball) and rack in the points for your team, however, blocking is so important on the offense and defense and you really get to put your practice drills such as whipping and hip whips, hitting and leaning into play.
Celtic Thunder Jamming, proves her strength and reps her heritage and name with a Celtic Cross tattoo

What do you like most about derby?
It’s not just the sport that is amazing, it’s the friendships, the community and the family that is built through common interest. All roller girls are welcoming with open arms—you can meet such amazing skaters throughout the nation and that is so exciting!

Do you find it hard to find the time to fit derby into your schedule?
It’s a lot of rushing around commuting from NYC, home then practice but I make it happen. I’m invested in derby so I will do whatever I can to make sure it is a part of my life.

What would you say to someone new who was thinking about joining roller derby?
Don’t ever think that you can’t do it. It looks rough, and sometimes it is, but I assure you, it will bring so much excitement and satisfaction to your life. It has for me!

Stay tuned to The Rebel Yell and check out Celtic Thunder's new blog column coming soon!!

No comments: