Friday, September 25, 2009

Whip It!

If you haven't already heard, which would mean that you live under a rock out in a forest somewhere, a new movie about roller derby is coming out (pre-screenings have already taken place). Whip It, starring Ellen Page, premieres in theatres October 2nd. This long awaited film, giving Drew Barrymore her directorial debut, has got millions of people antsy with anticipation. The movie covers a vast range of fans through various demographics; the lost, rebellious teenage girl, the strange and strict parents, fans of Ellen Page from her performance in Juno, and most of all fans of roller derby.

Most people I've spoken to who have seen the trailer, are in agreeance that the movie looks really good. While I find the same to be true, I do have some reservations. Though the story line looks fun, I wonder, will the film show roller derby as the sport that it truly is? Will drills and skills be embellished to the point that a derby player can see that they're not real? I am a fan of Drew Barrymore, and although I don't always find her acting to be top notch, I do enjoy her as an entertainer (I was blown away by her performance as Little Edie in HBO's Grey Gardens). That being said, I am going in with an open mind and a positive attitude and think that I will leave the theatre feeling good.

What I'm hoping for more importantly though, is that this movie will breathe new life into the world of roller derby. That more people will benefit from all of the wonderful things this sport and community bring. I predict that the number of girls showing up to try out is going to grow as is the number of fans going to see bouts. As a fellow derby player, I can't wait to welcome all of the newcomers!

With all of that in mind, The Long Island Roller Rebels will be making appearances at a couple of movie theatres. Stop on by to see the movie and meet a Rebel. On Friday, October 2nd from 7-9PM, we will be at The Westbury United Artist Theatre and on Saturday, October 3rd from 2-4 we will be at Island 16 Cinemas in Holtsville. We'll be handing out information on both our next bout and our next open house, try out event and answering any questions you have.

For those of you who are a little more adventurous, on Saturday, October 3rd you can lace up some skates and head on over to Hot Skates in Lynbrook, NY for another Whip It event. Join us and radio stations WBAB & WBLI, while we celebrate the opening of the movie. Plenty of fun and lots of give aways!

Get ready to whip it good!

xo
Etta Jams

No comments: