Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Apply Daily

Photo/SECRET

I was in the waiting room of my doctor's office this afternoon flipping through a magazine. I turned the page to find this ad and thought it was a great message not only to athletes, but to people in general. The ad featuring Olympic Speed Skater Allison Baver who after suffering multiple leg fractures, started working out 8 hours a day to get her body back in top shape, reads "FEAR OF NOTHING".

At the bottom of the ad it says. "Fearlessness, apply daily". In all honesty, I can use some applications of this in my day to day life. It's funny, for as long as I can remember, I've always said that the only thing I was afraid of were roller coasters, but as I continue on in life, I've realized and hate to admit, that I actually do have a lot of fears. I have to say that about 95% of them are irrational and when talking to other people about what scares them, I've found it to be the same for them as well. Irrational or not, it's still scary right?

I think when you are playing a competitive sport, it can be easy to let nerves get the best of you. And so I found this ad to be so fitting. The truth is, we've all experienced some type of fear at some point in our lives and I think we could all benefit from applying a daily dose of fearlessness no matter how small our fears may be.

No comments: