Monday, February 16, 2009

Tonight Etta, Jams

Sharpen your pencils and dust off those erasers! This week, we give our wheels a break and broaden our minds. First, on Wednesday, The Rebels will meet up for a night of bout watching and a rundown of the rules. This is the 3rd class of this kind since our new season started. A wise addition to our physical repertoire.

Then on Thursday, our written skill test will take place. Some of us will be taking it for the first time, others taking it again to be in compliance with the new rules. The WFTDA rules are alwayschanging and as skaters, it's important for us to brush up on our knowledge. So whether we've been a part of the league for 2 years or 2 months, we will be filling in those blanks, circling a, b or c and answering true or false. Good luck to everyone!

Since we have the week off from skating and I'm feeling a little out of shape, I made a decision to do something I haven't done in a very long time. Tonight, for the first time since I can remember, I will brave the rink for "open skate". Yep, I'm gonna hit United Skates for a public skating session.To me, this is about the equivalent of having an in ground pool in your own backyard, but going to a public one instead. You see when we practice derby, it's our rink and we don't have to share it with anyone else! No need to lock up our shoes, no need to worry about getting in someone's way. I don't mean to sound like one of those mean girls in the playground with the newest toy that she doesn't let anyone else play with, after all, we do pay for our practices, it's just that, well I guess I've become a bit spoiled. Tonight a friend offered to give me some jam skating lessons, so I thought, why not?! It suits my name pretty well too. I think I might break out the sequin pants and matching headband.

I'll fill you all in on how I do.

xo
Jams

No comments: