Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Fresh Blood Roller Rebel Of The Month

Baking, cooking and kickin' ass! Fresh Blood Mary Kate knows her way around the kitchen and is quickly learning her way around the track. Not long ago I remember seeing this fresh, new face at Skate Safe. She showed up for a practice watched, asked questions and the next time I saw her, she was rolling on borrowed skates! Now sporting her very own Riedells, she's aced knee falls and many other difficult skills. Some people can't comprehend fitting a sport into their already busy schedules, especially business owners, but chef and business entrepreneur Mary Kate proves that if you really want to play, it can be done. Read on to see why she calls roller derby the icing on her cupcake!Name: Mary Kate Vanderhyde
Age: 24
Where are you from: Smithtown, NY
Occupation: Pastry Chef, Restaurant Co-Owner of Villa Napoli in Smithtown, currently starting a specialty cake business called Pixie Cakes.

Do you have children?: Not to my knowledge...I do have two cats though, (Yoda and Beaker)!

What made you want to join a roller derby league?: I've always loved sports and when I learned about roller derby it intrigued me. I heard about it through various people and then saw a special on ESPN, which made me want to join even more. When I finally met the team and went down to my first practice to check it out I just fell in love with it.

What was your first practice like?: Exciting and I just loved the sport more and more with each practice and bout I've been to since.

What is the hardest skill you had to learn?: To squat/get & stay lower.

What position would you most like to play and why?: Blocker, cause I like to hit and always play defense. I wanna learn how to be a jammer too and see which one I'm better at.

What do you like most about derby?: That it's just awesome, the people, the sport everything! I love getting to play, workout and enjoy myself with other people just like me.

Do you find it hard to find time to fit derby into your schedule?: Sometimes since I work in the food industry but I usually just make sure I have everything done before I have to go to practice or a bout.

What would you say to someone new who was thinking about joining roller derby?: Great to meet you, you're gonna love derby!
For a delicious Italian meal, visit Mary Kate's restaurant:
Villa Napoli
82 West Main Street
Smithtown, NY 11787
631-724-8787

No comments: